Nom :

mardi, septembre 20, 2005

Misono Men

I saw three men eating in the misono grill area during lunch today. I placed their ages at around the 40s or 50s. Two wore a shirt and tie and a dark-coloured windbreaker, while the other, a barong. The three looked liked men who had achieved a certain degree of prominence in their fields.

I thought them to be colleagues of some sort because they shared common features in their appearances. Since I was seated in a table across the grill, I was inevitably able to observe them. But as the meal progressed, I noticed that there was no interaction whatsoever among the three of them.

The men were apparently not colleagues. They had absolutely no relationship with each other. They were individuals who just chanced to give off the same impression and to sit beside each other.

Observing them made me remember the saying, "It's lonely at the top." The three people were probably far enough up the corporate ladder to command many underlings. Who did they have to eat with when the lunch meetings didn't show up on their agenda one day? When I become a vice-president (or maybe even a president, COO or CFO) of some sort one day, will I be sitting in front of the misono grill alone, though next to two strange women my age?

I'm not sure why this is significant enough to blog about... I guess these are the crazy things that pass through one's mind when eating alone.