Nom :

vendredi, novembre 18, 2005

People care about people...

"Because people care about people who care about themselves..."

In Miss Congeniality 2, this line is Gracie Hart's stylist's mantra, which Gracie Hart herself soon takes as her own. She says it to a young, tomboyish girl during a book signing session, in addition to advise to tie her hair up and use bows.

I feel like I'm that little girl. We just had a happy moment at the office, trying on earrings and necklaces from India, gushing at how pretty they were, and giving our opinions how they looked on our colleagues. I joined in on the fun. And I guess that turned out to be an eye-opening thing for an officemate.

I was trying on a shoulder-brusher (I think that's what they're called, so named because of their length). I've worn dangling earrings to work on a few occassions-- never thought they were very appropriate in a professional atmosphere, even though my office has no regulation on accessories. Anyway, I tried it on and my officemate said it looked okay, that I would probably have to tie my hair so that I wouldn't pull on it when I tossed my hair.

And that was the moment of epiphany. She said, "It's about time...." And I had no idea where she was leading. Was it about time that I tied my hair? I asked. And she continued: "It's about time, maybe to open your blouse just a little bit more, wear something more form-fitting, tie your hair, wear contact lenses or at least change the rim of your glasses... fix your eyebrows..."

Wasn't this what I was just complaining about when I said I missed school-- that I felt so frumpy in my office attire?

I explained that not a lot of my clothes were things I had bought myself. Someone bought them for me and they had overestimated the sizes.

And she paused. "Do you want...?"

Do I want what? Do I want a makeover? Will I be the "victim" of those makeover shows like Ambush Makeover or Queer Eye? I actually wouldn't mind. I've been watching those shows a lot lately and I keep on saying that I wish I were victimized by one of those stylists from Ambush or (particularly) by Kyan and Carson from Queer Eye.

"I can do that for you. I can fix your eyebrows."

Well, that's a start. So I said yes.

My mom said she only learned about makeup when she started working. I guess these are my first steps of claiming my own space in this legacy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

i guess in a corporate setting, you really have to put your best foot, face or whatever forward. if it means putting on makeup, plucking something, or revampping your wardrobe, then go for it! anything to make you stand out ina postive way....well you know the cliche, when you feel good outside, you feel good inside....or is that necessarily always the case?

i just think that the notion of a so called makeover has been blown WAY out of proportion. Queer eye is good in the sense that it basically says that you need to be the best person you can. BUT... sometimes it can be all sooo materialistic. There is so much focus on primping and preening that you eventually forget the reason why you had the makeover in the first place.

I guess its ok to change your look from time to time...but the important thing is you must do it on your own terms. You must do it when YOU are ready, not when someone says you are. I guess a little help from someone who knows fashion/makeup/hair etc, wont hurt (i hope), its best to do your own thing, as long as youre comfy and it comes out tasteful!

mercredi, novembre 23, 2005 2:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

DEN! DEN!!! SO!! TELL ME ALL ABOUT YOUR MAKEOVER!!

(haha diba excited talaga ako!! :))

I hope this isn't a result of the Becky Bloomwood craze. hehe joke. :) well yes, Den! It IS about time you bloomed! :)Not that you didn't look pretty already (you did!!:)), but there's no harm in becoming even more good-looking, is there?? (haha, listen to me rationalize this kakikayan) Tell me all about it ok!! :)

P.S. I am willing to offer my limited services as a mini-kikay guru. Wala akong alam masyado (compared to other girls), but when it comes to lip products, well, come to mama!! :)

mercredi, novembre 23, 2005 8:58:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home